If your business took a downward hit in 2020, but you were able to keep your head above water, don't give up now. Straighten your shoulders, lift your chin and summon up the strength you need to keep putting one foot in front of the other.
If it seems that you've been doing all you can and it's still not enough, then, press on. It's time to double-down on your best strategies and push all thoughts of doubt from your mind.
It's been said that you should be so positive in your mind and actions, that negative people do not want to be around you. If you follow that path it can sometimes feel like a lonely one, but you are never alone. There will always be people who share your mind set. There will always be small business owners who are serious about business and striving towards success. There will always be problems to solve, communities to service and families to assist. Here are three steps into the new year that I encourage you to consider:
So happy to see you are still interested in Marketing Around COVID-19. Here's #8 -
It's Important to Fill-in-the-blanks
While we as business owners continue adjusting and pivoting through the challenges that the COVID-19 pandemic has brought into our lives, some of us have had the opportunity to meet potential new clients, which always brings anticipation and excitement. Listening to a potential business client as they share their vision with you can serve as inspiration for stoking your passion for your own business.
In getting to know new clients, we provide an analysis form or a survey where we pose key questions about the business.
When the client returns the form, we often have a great foundation to begin helping that business grow. Unfortunately, there are times when the analysis form is returned and vital information is missing, like:
While these may seem like routine questions, the responses do allow us to provide productive strategies, because:
1. We get: One-word answers, incomplete answers, or blank spaces
2. We get questioned: “Why do I need to provide this?”
3: We get sarcasm: “That’s what I’m hiring you to tell me!!”
4. Nothing. We never get the analysis form back…(even when we offer more time)
5. We get … you guessed it ... crickets.
Precipitously, our analysis form morphs into a deal breaker, when it’s supposed to be a dealmaker!
Why are there so many BLANK SPACES, why are so many of the answers filled with ambiguity?
This information is essential in creating a successful marketing plan, so what stops people from getting down to the nitty-gritty? Afterall, no professional marketing agency can provide meaningful advice without having this knowledge about the business. Anyone who says they can are not being honest in today's climate.
After we conducted further research, we discovered a few reasons why people don’t fill in the blanks:
1. FEAR stops people. The effort required to make decisions and provide answers will give some people a condition called “analysis paralysis” or decision paralysis. This occurs when people are having such a tough time choosing between actions, they do nothing at all.
2. TRUTH stops people. When they attempt to take a deeper look, they may realize they have developed a product or service for their own pain-points without the doing the research to determine the true needs in the marketplace.
3. DISBELIEF stops people. They do not believe they need to answer these questions. They believe research and planning is a waste of time and money. They are not serious about creating a successful, long-lasting business.
4. LACK OF KNOWLEDGE stops people. They simply do not know the answers. But they NEED to know the answers, because it will ultimately mean the success or failure of their business. Do the research, and obtain the knowledge to move your business forward.
In our work supporting small businesses, we help them get past these reasons for leaving blank spaces and we help them see a path toward realizing their goals and passions.
We want you to reach and exceed your expectations. We specialize in finding the right tools to help you gain awareness, interest, conversions, and make sales for your business.
Don’t let the pandemic rob you of your dreams to work your business. Together, we can outwit some of the obstacles brought about by COVID-19. Let us help you direct your business or non-profit toward growth.
With Paulette Smith